Minoa.info

In Finnish

Author Topic: The best food in Crete?  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Mika

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The best food in Crete?
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »
As a preface to an upcoming article Minoa.info is working on, we'd love to hear your experiences. What taverna had the best food you have had on the island? What did you have, where it was, and what was so special about it? There are countless wonderful tavernas and restaurants throughout Crete, and i love reading about people's experiences.

For me personally, the best food isnt necessarily the fanciest, or anything special. I've always had a fascination with regular, local, everyday food. That in mind, my favorite has been a little take-away eatery called Maria's home cooking in Rethymnon, near the statue of the unknown soldier. Run by an elderly woman with her family, they prepare and cook the food every morning, and a lot of working people in Rethymnon come throughout the day for a take-away lunch. You go into the kitchen, and they show you what they have prepared for the day, and you pick what you want. Most people do take-away, but there are a couple of tables so you can eat on the spot as well.

The food is wonderfully down to earth, regular Cretan food. My absolute favorite are Maria's stuffed peppers and onions. They are simple, but delicius. Stewed for hours in their own juice, and served right out of the oven. It's food that everyday, working people come and pick up, but for me, it's a culinary delight in it's most basic, simple form. Street food, if you will. I highly recommend you visit Marias at least once if you stay in Rethymnon.

Maria's is also featured on the site in the article: "5 tavernas around Rethymnon"

So that's my favorite, now we'd love to hear yours.

Offline podilato

• View Profile
Re: The best food in Crete?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
I also like Maria's foods, especially their stuffed tomatoes.
But my favourite restaurant is Egli and their pennes arrabbiata, a pasta food with a strong garlic sauce; it is absolutely delicious like also their tuna pizza with pineapple and garlic. Egli is in Rethymno and their address is Australon Polemiston 8.

Offline F.Harry Stowe

• View Profile
Re: The best food in Crete?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »
I'm always a little bit cautious in using superlatives. Because I haven't visited all the Greek islands and haven't eaten in all Cretan taverns and restaurants. So I know there might be even better places to spend your vacation or to enjoy your meal.

Regardless I dare to recommend the tavern o'Leventis to whom ever is staying in Hania district. Since  2003 we have visited them almost every year and the food and the atmosphere has been impeccable. Just last fall we happened to be there while a Greek christening was taking a place. And that was (beside the food) by far the most authentic experience of the Greek way of life so far.
Η καλή ζωή, θέλει καλό κρασί!