Minoa.info

In Finnish

Author Topic: Nikos Siragas's Wood Art Gallery  (Read 4098 times)

Offline podilato

• View Profile
Nikos Siragas's Wood Art Gallery
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
If you are staying in Rethymno go and watch a true artist at work and in his gallery you can see his magnificent work made of local woods such as olive, mastic, walnut, carob and eucalyptus etc.
Nikos is one of the few remaining wood carvers and wood turners on the island of Crete. He is well known due to his unique designs and the high quality of his work. He demonstrates at exhibitions and seminars in Europe each year and writes articles in English Craft magazines.
His gallery and workshop is in a small street 10 metres from the beach road and 250 metres east from the Marina; the address is Petalioti 2.
Opening times: April to October, Mon-Sat 10:30-14:30, 18:00-22:30. In the evenings you can watch him working outside his gallery. It really is a joy to watch an expert turner and carver at work; it looks so easy but it takes many years to develop that kind of skill.
On top of everything else, Nikos and his wife Frances are among the most charming people that I have ever met.
Nikos's website: www.siragas.gr

Offline Juhani

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Nikos Siragas's Wood Art Gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »
Here is one photo, where Nikos is working in the middle of audience. He knows very much about the use of Cretan wood material.
In this photo you can maybe see and feel the dark and warm evening, where the sound of the breaking waves can be heard in the background.

http://www.kreeta.info/images/NikosPanorama2WISO.jpg

Offline podilato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »
Where is Zaharias Theodorakis, Nikos's friend, he always sits on the bench that is in the front of the window?
I can't see my bicycle in the photo so I guess I wasn't there when this photo was taken.

Offline podilato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »
Nikos is moving his workshop and gallery, his new address is 38 Varda Kallergi in the Old Town. You can find him here http://www.siragas.gr/findus.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:47:56 PM by podilato »