Minoa.info

In Finnish

Author Topic: Bicycling in Crete  (Read 5106 times)

Offline podilato

• View Profile
Bicycling in Crete
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »
There are many ways of spending time on a holiday in Crete but I recommend to try cycling; there is something for all your senses, and it is good exercise as well as very environmentally friendly. You can hear the birds and insects, you can smell the flowers, you can feel the burning hot sun and all the nice views that you can see makes cycling very interesting, and it is also a nice way to see what's in the neighbouring areas.
The most unforgettable bicycle ride was the one that I made from Rethymno over the mountains to Plakias, a town on the south coast, and when I came back through the Kourtaliotiko gorge there was a quite strong wind, against of course, and the upward slope felt endless, but I was lucky, it didn't rain.
I have spent six holidays in Rethymno and I have cycled there, and in the neighbouring villages within a radius of about 50 kilometres, about 3500 kilometres all together and I cycle only when I feel like it; it is just a hobby, not an obsession.
One of my favourites is Kourna Lake where I have been with my bicycle about 20 times during the years because the route is quite challenging and its length, about 60 kilometres all together, is suitable (or enough) for one day.
Sometimes when I cycle along a small village road it is very quiet, only a swarm of insects, tsitsikakia, make a very loud noise and the sun beats down: that moment is unbelievable magnificent.
Bicycling is worth trying, although in many places it is not so easy because of the steep upward slopes, but it is rewarding; you sure have done something different on your holiday instead of laying on the beach all the time.

Offline podilato

• View Profile
Re: Bicycling in Crete
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
If you are staying in Rethymno and you are interested in bicycling, here is one place where you can rent a bicycle http://olympicbike.com/.

Offline podilato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »
Here is a link to a website where there are bicycle routes in Crete, with height differencies. Some of them are easy, some quite challenging. Enjoy your ride!

http://www.mapmyride.com/gr/rethymno-crete/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:06:47 AM by podilato »

Offline leonivan

• View Profile
    • Halkidiki Property
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
I have been cycling in Crete so i can say that the routes are fantastic!
For mountain biking enthusiasts i also recommend Halkidiki.
For more information about the area of Halkidiki visit http://www.hellenicliving.gr/

Offline podilato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:59 AM »
So far I have spent eight of my holidays in Rethymno in Crete, the last five of them lasting five weeks each. I have cycled, during those holidays, altogether about 5240 kilometres reaching every now and then new villages and places, where I have not been before. To mention a few; up to the Arkadi Monastery, Elefterna, Kalives, Hromonastiri and Roussospiti, Roustika, Bali (when cycling back to Rethymno there is a quite long and steep uphill just after leaving Bali), also the Argiroupoli springs, where I filled my water bottle with cold, crystal clear spring water.

On one hot day last summer, somewhere in the countryside on my way to Roustika, I was cycling downhill for about one kilometre, there were trees and bushes filled with cacophonic insects which were so noisy that I felt my head was going to explode. I used my brakes to make that downhill trip last longer, but as always in life good moments rarely last long. I’ll never forget the fantastic feeling I had there that day. My holiday is not perfect if I don’t hear that orchestral madness!

Offline ricks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »
hyvää luettavaa  8)